|Price per person for Lares Trek based on 2 travelers in private service only. Domestic flights not included.|
Lares is located on the opposite side of the Sacred Valley where a beautiful valley opens up at a higher level and offers an ideal opportunity for adventure hikes. The Lares Trek encompasses all the wonderful things we love about hiking: a lesser-known path that allows the few hikers to enjoy the scenery and the flora and fauna closely, marvelous mountain views, intense emerald-colored glacier lakes, passing through renewing Queuña Tree forests, and observing closer Andean villagers’ lives. Since there are Andean communities along the way, you may run into Andean kids going or returning from school or their parents going or coming to/from work.
The Lares Trek ends in the town of Lares where you can dip into its natural hot springs and relax.
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Moderate to challenging. We strongly recommend acclimatizing to the altitude by staying in Cusco at least two-three days prior to the Lares Trek.
Lares Trek to Machu Picchu: After the trek, you can be transferred to the Andean town of Ollantaytambo to take the train to Aguas Calientes and visit Machu Picchu the following day.
Come and experience this enriching Lares Trek route or Lares Trek to Machu Picchu!
If you are looking for a complete experience in Cusco, you can add this trek to our:
Cusco – Cancha Cancha
Leave Cusco at 7:00 am in private transportation (2hours) on your way to Huarán, the starting point of the trek. Start off walking for approximately 5 hours, following an uphill path with vigorous vegetation, arriving at your first campsite in Cancha Cancha, a small farming community in the middle of spectacular mountain scenery. There will be a lunch stop along the way. Once in Cancha Cancha campsite, you may try interacting with the villagers and learn about their customs.Daily Trek Statistics
Distance: 8 km / 4.97 ml Minimum Altitude: 2750m /9020ft Maximum Altitude: 3650m / 11792ft Approximate Time: 5-6 hrs Gradient: moderate
Overnight at the campsite.
Cancha Cancha – Queuñaqocha Lagoon
Leave camp after breakfast. Hike your way up the path leading you to the first mountain pass of the trek, the Abra Pachacutec (4400m/14432ft/3h). It is from here that you will delight in the incredible views of glacier lagoons and the surrounding valley, spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains in the area, such as Colquecruz, Minas, and Sirijuani. Right after, you will enjoy lunch and continue descending to Quiswarani, a small village of humble people and textile producers. Following, you’ll go uphill until you reach the mysterious lagoon of Queuñaqocha. You’ve reached the second campsite. Relax and enjoy a good night sleep.Daily Trek Statistics
Distance: 10 km / 6.21 ml Minimum Altitude: 3500 masl / 11480 ft Maximum Altitude: 4400 masl / 14432 ft Approximate Time: 6-7 hrs Gradient:
moderate – challenging
Overnight at the campsite.
Queuñaqocha Lagoon – Lares – Cusco
Get up early and prepare for the last day of your Lares Trail Peru. Today you will hike towards the second mountain pass, the Abra Willkiccasa (4100m/13448ft/2h), magnificent views from both sides of the pass, the beautiful Colquecruz, and the enigmatic Pitusiray and Sahuasiray mountains. You’ll see the typical Puna landscape with some deers along the way until you reach Cancan 3 hours later, a small agricultural community.
From here, the trail takes you down a fertile valley with greener and bushy vegetation, and carefully cultivated patches of land by the communities that own them. You will see native flowers such as Begonias and wild Orchids. Approximately 2 hours later, you’ll arrive at Lares town and its pleasant Hot Springs where one can enjoy an unlaxed and warm dip. After a succulent lunch, private transportation will take you back to Cusco, with an estimated arrival time of 20:00 hours.Daily Trek Statistics
Distance: 11 km / 6.83 ml Minimum Altitude: 3000 masl / 9630 ft Maximum Altitude: 4100 masl / 13448 ft Approximate Time: 6-7 hrs Gradient:
Price Per Person
|Private Service: 2 travelers||US$ 555|
|Private Service: 3 travelers||US$ 429|
|Private Service: 4 travelers||US$ 379|
|Private Service: 5 travelers||US$ 355|
|Private Service: 6 travelers||US$ 315|
|Private Service: 7 travelers||US$ 289|
|Private Service: 8 travelers||US$ 275|
The Lares Trek is customizable. If you would prefer to add destinations to your trip, please let us know in the Comments Section of the Get Free Quote form. You can also fill out our Design Your Trip form or Contact Us form with your specific needs.
- This Lares Trek is available every day of the year.
- The recommended period to do the Lares Trek is from April to October.
- Price does not include local sales taxes; as foreign travelers are sales tax exempt according to Peruvian Law.
- If you are looking for a complete experience in Cusco, you can add this hike to our 4-day Machu Picchu Tours.
- Pre-departure briefing.
- Transfer from Cusco to Huaran, the starting point of the trek.
- Adventure tour guide in English.
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 3-person-capacity tent (4 seasons).
- One foamy and one inflatable sleeping pad per person.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- Kitchen tent.
- Toilet tent with biodegradable toilet facilities.
- Pack animals to carry camping equipment and your belongings.
- Food and cooking equipment.
- One emergency horse every 6 people.
- Meals (2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners, daily morning snack, daily tea service except for last day) – the vegetarian menu is available at no extra cost.
- Hot water every morning and evening for washing purposes / boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunchtime if requested with enough time ahead.
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Transfer from Lares to Cusco.
- Sales taxes and payment transaction fees
- International and domestic flights.
- Visas required to enter Peru.
- Airport taxes.
- Walking Poles.
- Breakfast on Day 1 and Dinner on Day 3.
- Duffel Bag.