Peru for Kids: Your Guide to Family-Friendly Activities
Think you need to wait until your kids grow up before planning a trip to Peru? Well, you don’t have to because there are plenty of kid-friendly activities available to complement your trip itinerary. Just make sure you talk to an experienced tour company who can put together a fantastic family vacation in Peru.
Here’s a list of activities by destination that you’re sure to want to try:
- ChocoMuseum: there are plenty of chocolate-making workshops that are sure to make everyone happy. Make sure you plan for one during your City Tour.
- Sacsayhuaman: who knew this amazing Inca fortress is filled with secret tunnels and natural lava slides? It’s a fantastic playground that your kids will not want to leave!
Sacred Valley of the Incas:
- Ccochahuasi Animal Sanctuary: this is a shelter for rescued or endangered animals from the area. Kids can learn about the animals as well as textile dying techniques from the Andes.
- Ollantaytambo: in addition to climbing this amazing Inca archeological site, and enjoying unbelievable mountain views, kids can visit a guinea pig nursery in town.
- Maras Salt Flats: you can rent bicycles and ride them around this amazing place.
- You can also take pottery classes, or go horseback riding, mountain biking, river rafting, go on treks, and much more. Many hotels also offer kid-friendly activities such as movie night and cooking lessons.
- Machu Picchu is great for families with its amazing legends, tons of stairs to climb and breathtaking views to take in. It’s the perfect place to explore and find hidden treasures. Here, take advantage of a private tour so that your guide can cater to y our needs and help make the experience an adventure for the whole family.
- Sandboarding and Buggy Riding: In the Ica desert of Peru, only a few hours south of the city of Lima, there are amazing sand dunes that make for the best buggy and sandboarding rides. This is the ultimate experience for thrill-seekers.
- Because of its calm waters and strong winds, the bay of Paracas has plenty of aquatic activities for the whole family, such as kayaking or sailing. You can also visit the Islas Ballestas with its rich marine fauna, it is a popular family activity.
- Parque de la Reserva: In addition to its fabulous beaches, surfing and world-renowned cuisine, Lima boasts a fantastic interactive water fountain compound, which holds the Guinness record for being the biggest fountain compound in a public park. It is especially fun to witness the light show called “The Magical Water Circuit”.
- You’d be surprised to learn that many jungle programs include exploration trails designed especially for kids. These programs may also include caiman hunts, jungle tattoos and canopy tower climbing. It truly is an experience you and your kids will never forget!